Monday, August 12, 2013

Time For a Home School Warm Up?

When the kids were tots I loved a relaxing drizzly day - I knew we'd get an extra long nap in! Now that only one of the kids naps on a daily basis those rainy days mean a bouncing off the wall 3 year old and 6 year old. Today was one of those days. After spending most of the morning trying to read over my syllabi and class schedules while the kids went bonkers around me I finally decided to hit pause and do a little home school warm up. I hadn't planned on starting the kids school until Thursday but a little warm up just might be what we needed.

First, we made a raincloud craft. I just cut out two white construction paper clouds and blue construction paper rain drops, grabbed some shiny blue gift ribbon and cotton balls and set to it.
First, we glued the cotton balls onto the clouds.



I cut various lengths of ribbon and taped them to the rain drops.

Then we taped the rain drops to the back of the clouds.

Next we played a new game I happened to find during a recent trip to Walmart. It was a good deal at about $8 after tax. While we haven't actually started working with fractions yet Chandler picked up on the concept fairly quickly and Emma enjoyed just building pizzas.




Emma requested to play with balloons so I let them bounce them around the living room while I picked up a bit and then we sat down for story time. Today we read The Cat in The Hat - fitting for a rainy day stuck inside.
This little home school warm up seems to have done the trick. Emma is happily playing babies and Chandler is having quiet time watching a new movie. The baby is asleep and now it is about time I start working on dinner prep. We'll see what tomorrow holds, perhaps another home school warm up day as we count down to Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment